1117 North Saginaw Street, Holly, MI 48442

877-321-1933

Treating and Preventing the Silent Killer: Gum Disease

  • February 28, 2015

Has the news of this massive flu outbreak been catching your attention? The numbers are truly alarming, but they have yet to reach the same levels an epidemic that has been sweeping the nation for years.

Gum disease is an exceptionally dangerous infection that infects about 80% of the population! The infection is dangerous because you wouldn’t even notice it at first, yet it can progress into a very painful situation.

There is also a lot of research linking gum disease with more serious health concerns like preterm delivery, low birth weight, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease. We don’t fully understand these connections, but they are definitely there!

Prevention Techniques

The only sure way to avoid the complications associated with gum disease is to avoid gum disease! You can do that through prevention techniques like those that we are about to discuss.

Flossing: Flossing is especially important because brushing only reaches about 60% of the bacteria in your mouth. Floss is able to get between your teeth and other hard-to-reach areas to address the remaining 40%.

Brushing:
You know that brushing your teeth is important. Don’t rush through your brushing routine. Take your time and really cover all of the areas of your mouth!

Antiseptic Rinse: A great mouth rinse can make a big difference when you trying to prevent gum disease. A daily swish can remove harmful bacteria in a flash!

Routine Appointments: The best way to prevent gum disease is to maintain your routine appointments. We are able to catch gum disease at the first signs and remove the infection before you notice any symptoms.

Signs of Trouble

If you don’t maintain routine appointments, you will be the one to notice symptoms before we have a chance. Below are some things for you to look for while you are caring for your teeth.

Bleeding Gums: It is not normal for your gums to bleed while you brush or floss your teeth. If you notice blood, it is definitely time to schedule an appointment with us!

Sensitivity: Just as you shouldn’t see blood, you shouldn’t feel pain when using a brush on your teeth. Pain is another symptom that should cause you to give us a call.

Red Gums: When you look at healthy gums, they are a nice pink color. Gums infected with gingivitis, however, often turn bright red. This is yet another sign that you should contact us for treatment right away!

Treatment Options

The beginning of a gum disease infection is called gingivitis. We can catch gingivitis at a routine appointment and remove the infection through your routine cleaning procedure. We might also discuss other ways that you can better care for your gums to prevent any further infection.

Advanced gum disease is quite a bit more difficult to treat. We need to remove the infection, but it is deeper in your gums which makes removal more difficult. We might recommend a cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing.

In this cleaning procedure, we will remove bacteria from the surfaces deep below the gum line and along the tooth root. Once the entire tooth surface is clean, we will then plane the surfaces of the tooth so that bacteria cannot cling to rough edges.

In rare cases, we might need to recommend pocket reduction surgery, which will help your gums heal back in their original position.

Gum disease is not something to ignore or discredit. With the obvious links to very serious health concerns, you will want to make sure that you take measures to avoid gum disease or catch it early!

Contact us today to set up your next cleaning and exam. We would love to see you very soon so that you can get the care you need to prevent or treat gum disease.

2 Comments

  1. Leonard
    June 15, 2017 at 10:06 am

    Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post. I like to write a little comment to support you.

  2. free phone reading
    June 16, 2017 at 3:15 pm

    Thank you for this amazing post, I’m pleased I found this web site on yahoo.

Leave a Comment

seventeen − four =