- February 13, 2015
An emergency can happen at any time and in any place. When you walk out the door in the morning, you never know what will happen, so it’s important to prepare when you can so that should an emergency take place, you are ready to take care of it!
Dental emergencies are especially difficult because most of us really have no idea what to do! If there was an emergency in any other part of the body, you would know to call 911 and get help, but are dental emergencies really 911-worthy?
Sometimes they are (when coupled with other, more serious injury), but they rarely need that type of treatment. Most often, you need a dentist, but dental offices are not usually open 24/7, so you have to be prepared to take care of a dental emergency until you can be seen.
Let’s take a look at how to do that!
Be Prepared with a Dental Emergency Kit
You probably have a first-aid kit somewhere in your home. You might even have a separate kit for your pets! Do you have what you need for a dental emergency? It doesn’t take much to be prepared, and you probably already have most of these things in your home!
- Pain Relievers: For a toothache or pain in your jaw, you can take an over-the-counter pain reliever to ease your discomfort until you can come into the office.
- Small Container: You should keep a small, sealable container in your dental emergency kit as well. This would be for the situation of a broken or knocked-out tooth.
- Gauze: Gauze can help stop the bleeding in the event of a knocked-out tooth or injury to the soft tissues in your mouth.
- Denture Adhesive: For broken appliances, denture adhesive is a great way to temporarily repair the appliance until you can get into the office for a permanent repair.
Know When to Call
One of the biggest questions for patients during an emergency is when to call the office. How do you know it’s something that needs to be seen right away or not? We’ll help you out with some general tips!
- Broken Appliances: Broken appliances need to be seen soon to prevent infection, but they are rarely a very painful experience. If you can use the denture adhesive to replace the appliance, we can make an appointment for sometime in the next 24 hours, and you will be in great shape! Call as soon as you are able.
- Pain/Swelling: If you are in pain from a toothache or your gums are swelling or warm to the touch, you need to call us right away. You might have an infected tooth or gums that need to be treated quickly so that you are out of pain.
- Injury: In the event of a broken or knocked-out tooth, the sooner you can get into the office, the better chance we have to repair your tooth completely. This is definitely a “call right away” event!
Regardless of the emergency you are facing, please feel reassured that we can take care of the problem and get you back to smiling in no time!
Same Day Appointments
If you have an emergency, we will fit you into our schedule on the same day you call. We are able to do this with incredibly convenient hours! We are open until 8:00PM on most evenings and even maintain Saturday hours so that you get seen when you need to be seen!
Your emergency is our emergency. When you call us in pain or distress, we make you a priority and walk you through your options so that you get the care you need!
Contact us today to set up an appointment or consultation. We would love to answer any questions you might have and help you develop your own dental emergency kit! We can’t wait to meet with you soon!